This page lists the various student projects that I mentored at Columbia University. The projects were done under the supervision of Prof. Henning Schulzrinne either for credit or pay or both, in the Internet Real-Time Lab. Most of the projects are related to the umbrella project of CINEMA which is a test-bed for Enterprise IP telephony.
- VoiceXML-based auto attendant for CS department by Sean West. Integrated in CINEMA as sipvxml/applications/auto_attendant/. Also see spring2005/auto-attendant/ and spring2005/vxml/ for code. TODO: get report and integrate the code in CINEMA.
- VoiceXML-based address book access using PHP by Theodore Summe. TODO: get report and code.
- Controlling devices by phone by Samit Jain and mentored by Xiaotao Wu. Project report is available. Also see spring2005/dev-control/ for code.
- Performance measurement of SIP proxy servers cluster by Huitao Sheng. Project report is available. I extended the measurements with a number of optimizations and modifications. The performance numbers are in my paper. See the file fall2004/sipload/sipdtest.zip for changes in sipstone and scripts for measurement automation.
- Enhancements to user interface for P2P-SIP by Madhuri Shinde. Project report is available. Code is here. TODO: Integrate the changes in my CINEMA code after cleanup.
- XCAP server in Java Servlet by Madhuri Shinde, and mentored by Jonathan Lennox. Project report is available. Also see the files in fall2004/xcap/ for enhancements.
- Phone2Dev: phone device control system by Stanislav Miroshnikov, and mentored by Xiaotao Wu. Project report is available.
- Email by phone using our sipvxml by Pimrampai Vannacharoen. Completed and integrated in CINEMA. See the files in sipvxml/applications/emailbyphone/ in CINEMA project. TODO: update the project report.
- Adding DNS NAPTR support in SIP proxy by Omer Boyaci. Completed and integrated in CINEMA. The libcine/server.c file in CINEMA project contains the changes. Project report is available.
- SIP location publication using Active Badge by Akshat Trivedi. Completed in Spring 2004. Check the source code in fall2003/activebadge/ directory. TODO: update the project report.
- RTSP media server enhancements by Priyanka Upadhayay. Completed in Spring 2004. Project report and code are available.
- CINEMA GUI enhancements by Jeffrey Schnurmacher. Project report and code are available. Also see the files in fall2003/gui/ directory. Good work.
- Active badge location service by Syed Hasan. Project code is available. Also see Vistaseek's configuration at summer2003/tini/tini.txt.
- Conference event recording by Mark Pimental. TODO: get the source code and integrate in CINEMA.
- Event notification and scheduling. report. By Salman Abdul Baset. Project page is here. Project integrated with CINEMA.
Some more projects being done as part of advanced internet services COMS6181 CVN class. Interesting projects include: RTSP media server enhancements for text-to-speech, and SIP proxy and registration server in Python.
- Integrating TRIP with sipd. Project by Eva Nautiyal. Project report and code are available. This uses Vovida's TRIP implementation.
- Interworking between instant messaging and voice calls. Project by Naoya Seta. Project report is available. Please see fall2002/imvoice/simvoice/srcs for source code. Good work
- Instant message logging for CINEMA by Eva Nautiyal and Manica Piputbundit. Completed in winter break. Project report is available. Integrated in CINEMA after re-implementation and simplification.
- Phone announcement server by Eva Nautiyal and Manica Piputbundit. Project report is available. TODO: update code in sipua in CINEMA. Completed in winter break.
- SIP application level gateway using SIP-CGI on Linux by Linh Huy Bui. Project report and code are available.
Some more projects being done as part of advanced internet services COMS6181 CVN class.
- TRIP enhancements for IP telephony by Eva Nautiyal. This was further extended in Fall 2002 project.
Projects done as part of advanced internet services COMS6181 CVN class:
- RTP conference on windows in C/C++ by Anthony De Santis [Report]. TBD: Integrate into our low delay audio tool
- Email notification over phone in C/C++ by Joseph Gagliano [Report] and in Java by Ladjicke Diouf [Report]. TBD: more enhancements by integrating into Unified messaging project.
- rtpqos: QoS measuring tool for RTP packets. Project by Akira Tsukamoto. Project report and code are available. For credit and pay. See also files in spring2002/rtpqos/ directory for integration in CINEMA.
- E911 for SIP by Jisoo Lee. Project report and code are available. Very good project for undergrad credits (2 points). Also see documents on old INTEREST testbed.
- Message board for CINEMA by Gaurav Khandpur. Project report is available. Took the project credit in Fall 2002. Integrated with CINEMA after modifications.
- IM/Event notification for calendars based on our Java SIP library. Project by Takahiro Kashihara. Project report is available. Java SIP library is at fall2001/im/siplib.jar. Integrated in CINEMA with modifications.
- Conference Recording feature in the SIP conferencing server. Project by Chin-hong Lin and Agung Suyono. Project report is available. Integrated in CINEMA with modifications. TODO: check the rtspd recording status.
- QoS measurement tool for RTP. Develop a tool for measuring QoS parameters for RTP and measure the performance of our SIP conferencing server. Project by Daniel Starin. Jointly mentored by Sankaran Narayanan and Kundan Singh. Incomplete.
- Web interface for file sharing. Project by Huwei Zhang. Integrated in CINEMA. Project report is available
- Extending SIPua to support RTP, G.722, FEC and adaptive playout delay. Integrate RTP, G.722, FEC and Adaptive delay to Sipua on Linux. Project by Alpa Shah and Edouard. Project report is available. See the files in fall2001/siprtp/siprtpua/ for integration with CINEMA.
- Automated Conference Network by Huwei Zhang. Project report is available. Integrated in CINEMA after modifications. Also see the README file in fall2001/autoconf/ directory.
- MP3 payload format for rtspd by Kumar Saurabh. Completed in Spring 2001. This is integrated into rtspd (see file libmedia/mp3.c in CINEMA project). Project report is available. More
testing is required. We do not have MP3 media player.
- MPEG payload format for
rtspd by Haoqiang Zheng and Steven Chou; project done as part of Advanced Internet Services course. This is integrated into rtspd (see libmedia/mpv.cpp and mparse.cpp files in CINEMA project). More testing is required.
- Teltone-to-SIP Internet Telephony Gateway by Jingren Zhou. Project report is available. Project source code is also available. Needs to be updated with new library to take care of any API changes.